Drst Vedam– seeing the divine philosophical knowledge
Manusam — that shows all the human (Telugu)
rupam — forms (Telugu)
tava — your
saumyam — ability of getting along with others is of value
O’ Janardana — people ruler you are
Idamnim — this (idam) minute(nim nimusham)
asmin — I have been
samvrttan — equal in the way it applys to all
sacetah — along with (sa) own doing (Cetah)
prakrtim — this is the own nature’s way
gatah — of telling the past (Telugu)
Seeing the divine philosophical knowledge, that shows all of the humans forms, your ability of getting along with others is of value, people’s ruler you are. This minute I have been (in all human forms), equal in the way it applys to all, along with own doing. This is the own nature’s way of telling the past.
When Arjuna thus saw Krishna in His original form, he said: O Janārdana, seeing this humanlike form, so very beautiful, I am now composed in mind, and I am restored to my original nature.
- Gita — Is a Song. A song of spiritual knowledge, dialogue between the Guru (Sri Krishna) and the sisya (Arjuna). This dialogue (between man and god) is from the Epic Mahabharata.
- There are many Gitas (vidura-gita, rama-gita, hamsa-gita, guru-gita and siva-gita but most are only aware of Bhagavadgita.
- It has been a universal book of guidance. Because it deals with universal issues of life — relevant at all times. It was also described as the “battlefield of life” and with examples.
- Gita shows three main paths to the divine — the path of action (Karma Yoga), The path of devotion (Bhakti yoga) and path of knowledge (Jnana-Yoga).
- It is said, Gita merged from the lord while in a state of meditation. Lord himself said — “gita me hrdayam partha – The Gita, O Arjuna is my very heart.”
- It’s 18 chapters and 700 pearls of wisdom was created by veda vysa.
- It is the largest epic in th world.
- What does not exist in Mahabharata does not exist anywhere — root of all emotions and concepts.
- Mahabharata is called Itihasa — loosely translated as history — meaning being “thus it happened.)
- Lord Ganesha agreed to be sage Vysa Muni’s scribe on a condition.
- Gita can be considered as both upanishad and as well as yoga sastra. Each and how it is considered both is elaborated.
- Upanishads discuss knowledge about absolute truth and essential oneness with it.
- Sastras are practical ways to guiding us how to attain truth and live fulfilled lives.
- Yoga means to unite with the Higher. Note — Finally a meaning for “yoga” that I can agree with.
- First chapter is called Arjuna visada-yoga. Arjuna’s grief became a trigger of his transformation.
- Gita has been looked upon as Dharma-grantha, Pramamana -grantha, and adhyatmika-jnana – grantha, bhautika-jnana-grantha, marga-darsaka-grantha. This was elaborated with examples.
- Famous National leaders such as Lokamanya Tilak and Mahatama Gandhi turned to Gita for guidance. Mahatma Gandhi said, he has come to use it for guidance and it has never failed him.
- Guruji Swami Chinmayananda 🙂 Calls it Art of Man Making.
- Place of Gita in HIndu Scriptures. Sruti’s are knoweldge realized by the mantras. Example — the four vedas. Considered the fundamental source of Hindu Thought.
- Smirti — Based on experiences and realization of the truth —- example Gita.
- Purana — knoweldge that is ancient but “ever relevant” Bhagavatam 🙂
- Chapter 2 text 7 — a very good verse on qualities of a good student.
Moving on with the highlights of lesson one….
- Mahabharata is not just family feud between the cousins padavas and kuruvas for the Kingdom but also a war between dharma and adharma — between good and evil. And what own blood kith and kin is capable of.
- God always supports the righteous and destroys the evil forces in the society. x
- It is believed Arjuna was 60 years old when he heard Gita. Lived for 120 years.
- Learn in Childhood the verses of Gita. In teenage years it’s word meanings; in youth it’s importance and in adulthood — through satsang, study, reflection and practice!
- The essence of Gita is path to right action *
There was more to lesson one than what was mentioned. My lesson one alone was 80 pages. I choose and mentioned what was important to me.